I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, October 17, 2011

listen to your parents...

Growing up, we used Nature's Air Conditioning - Windows - as often as possible. Many of you know how this works in cars... "4 and 40" (4 windows and 40 mph). There came a time every year when the windows closed and the heat came on. Well, actually, first there was a time when the windows just closed and that was good enough, but it usually didn't last very long.

Now, Mom and Dad -though I remember Mom being the main one- would repeatedly remind us to not only close the windows but latch them.  'OK Mom', sometimes it would happen right away and sometimes I'd get distracted and forget. Of course there was mention of wasted heat and such, but it never quite made sense. I either lived in a place it got somewhat chilled at night or places where it was always cold. I always found like I liked it a little chilly at night. I guess it helped that my parents kept it cooler at night (as many people do).

I have these great energy efficient windows in a fairly new apartment. I was told this place seals up tight.  and over the last few weeks I've have the unfortunate experience to be freaking freezing in my bed at night. please keep in mind I have 1 source of heat, it's a stove called a Toyo Stove. It runs off diesel fuel and can be set a number of different ways. There are ventilation holes in the wall between my bedroom and the stove and the previous occupant told me that it stays pretty even in the apt if you leave the bedroom door open. So why the heck was my bloody room so cold???

It seems I hadn't latched any of my windows (there are 3 that open), they were closed, but not latched.

Before my revelation the Toyo was kicking on about every 20-30 minutes. After my great revelation... every 6 hrs or so. I was wasting fuel but I'm glad I figured it out now and not when it's in the single digits.

Toyo Stove (my heating unit)

Control Panel - about as many options as a traditional thermostat

No comments:

Post a Comment