I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sunday 'fun'

My dryer started making a thumping noise last weekend when I was doing laundry. The property manager was there today checking on some things and thought it was fine to use but he was gonna order the parts he thought were needed to fix the drum, so I did use it. BIG mistake.

I'm sitting in my room reading when the little thump turned into a series. Of rather large bumps. I got up and ran in to see if I could do anything only to have the dryer turn off suddenly. I opened the door to actual flames shooting out of the back. FLAMES! I pulled the clothes out of the dryer- mostly a comforter so just about everything came out in one clump and threw it across the room then ran to the kitchen for the fire extinguisher. Shot that yellow powdery stuff straight into the dryer drum. After I was pretty certain the flames were gone I called building manager and he practically flew over to check it out. I turned off the breaker to the dryer and building manager has deemed the dryer possessed. I'm getting a new washer/dryer (stackable combination unit) as well as new fire extinguisher and smoke detectors- just because.

Needless to say I had some adrenaline going for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment