I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A funny thing happened...

So while I was waiting my turn at the DMV office yesterday -completed test in hand- there was this little boy  kinda dancing around and he sits on the chair a couple chairs away from me and sneaking looks at me. I smiled but didn't initiate conversation, a lot of kids up here are really quiet around strangers and get kinda nervous if a gussuk (sp?, 'white person') starts talking to them. After a few more minutes of pretending not to look at me he whispers to me, "Are you a doctor?" I caught a flash of my hospital ID around my neck and told him I was. His little eyes got HUGE. I told him I was a special kind of doctor, a hearing doctor. That was all the springboard he needed, then launching into stories upon stories about all the things that happen when he's a doctor (mom told me he got a doctor's kit for his birthday). Oh, and my new friend LOVES to 'shoot people' and take their 'arm pressure'.

Way to make the wait not so bad kid. Here's to a future Dr. here in Bethel.

No comments:

Post a Comment