I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Today's ponderings...

Not sure if this happens everywhere or more here. I was not part of this and only saw/heard small bits because my waiting room is close to the hospital entrance. We had someone go down (conscious but irregular breathing) just outside the hospital. A number of people walked by before a staff member came onto the scene and called a code for medical emergencies. As various people started taking note, someone thought the person was drunk and didn't think help was necessary. Luckily, staff didn't agree.Unfortunately, whatever happened claimed this persons life.

I'm not trained for medical emergencies other than my annual CPR and first aid, yet i can't imagine walking by without asking if someone needed help or thinking, 'oh, they're just drunk' and moving on, especially when this happens on the way into a hospital. It seems a bit obvious to me that they thought they needed to get to the hospital or something happened on the way. I haven't worked in a hospital before so i don't know the 'tales from the ER' and such that probably happen. And I don't know who thought the person was drunk and not actually in trouble. I wish people watched out more for others and weren't jaded by the effects of alcohol and drugs.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is really sad. Help one another...pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete