I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Change is on the Horizon... I'M MOVING AGAIN (Staying in Alaska)

I hadn't updated in a while. mostly because it's kinda the same old, same old. The river is still frozen which is a little different. I'm not sure why, but some people are still driving on it- that would terrify me right about now.

We switched to an electronic health record system at work and I've been spending lots of time trying to smooth out that transition. It's a very very slow process unfortunately. My waiting list hasn't gotten any shorter for sure.

OK... so the big change... I'm moving to Anchorage in June. Essentially,  my contract with the hospital (2 years) is up in June. So I have applied for a transfer of my LRP (Loan Repayment Plan) through IHS (Indian Health Services). I will be moving to ANMC (Alaska Native Medical Center) so I'll still be working with a native population but I will deal with all of Alaska, not just the Southwest Region. I'll be able to do some higher level testing again (more ABRs and start VNGs again) as well as some testing under sedation and cochlear implants. There's also some traveling to other cities for clinics (including Kodiak). That will be really fun. I'll get to see a few new cities and meet lots more people. PLUS- I'll be on the road system and can get in the car and drive again!!! Whoo Hoo!!

So my last day at work in Bethel is 6/7. My first day at work in Anchorage is 6/24. I'll physically move somewhere in between. Not sure on all the details but they are moving me/my belongings/my car from Bethel to Anchorage so I'll have to work on the packing and coordinate with them on pick-up. Since the river is still froze, I'm guessing I'll probably be without my stuff when I first get there. But it will all work out. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment