I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

It could happen anywhere

I realized I haven't updated recently. Not much has been going on really. But here are a few things that've happened...

The river has some overflow from partially thawing.

I did interviews last week for my assistant/case manager's replacement. We're working on hiring them, but the process is partially out of my hands. We had a not so great candidate, a good candidate and great candidate.  They'll have a month work work with the current assistant/case manager before taking over completely on their own.

Somebody stabbed someone to death literally right across the street from the police station. Who doesn't think they'll get caught when they kill someone right across the street from the police station. Needless to say, they were caught and medically processed right down the hall from my office. I'm really glad I keep the back door to my office/exam room locked all the time and also glad I didn't know about it right away.

My assistant/case manager is on vacation in Hawaii and i'm super jealous. While I'm here i'd love to make a trip down there since there are practically direct flights from here (from Anchorage there are). And the flights are much much cheaper from here than from practically anywhere. And honestly, off season there is still WAY warmer than here and also much cheaper. So not yet, but at some point, I kinda hope I get the chance to check out Hawaii. Then again, I also want to go to Denali and climb part of it and go to Fairbanks and Barrow and Kodiak. We'll see what happens and doesn't while I'm here though.

There's apparently a puppy play camp that occurs a few houses up from my house during the day. I keep coming home from work and finding half a dozen or more dogs romping in the snow. They're cute, but they're also totally in the way.

I found out there's a $450 subsidy that occurs if I bring an iphone to my wireless network. So i ordered an unlocked iphone (3GS, 8gb) from Apple. I shipped it to KY and I'm having a cousin (Thanks L!!!) turn around and ship it to me cause apple won't ship to a PO and the fed-ex guy in town has been known to take apple boxes and forge signatures. The only difference between here and somewhere else is that you know the guys face and see him all the time (I don't know the guy, but others do).

Oh, and the Fitness Challenge is going well. I know of at least one person that's lost over 24 inches and personally I've lost over 13 inches and we're only halfway through the challenge. We just have to keep going. My gym-wife (workout buddy) has me hitting the gym 4 days a week doing at least 4 miles each day but if she had it her way, I'd be there 5 days a week. That's a lot of time and a lot of miles. And it's paying off.

Back when we had the cold snap, my alarm/auto-starter somehow froze/broke. I'm not sure if it's possible that it's a fuze since I think it's a separate system or what's going on but the key fob lights up even though nothing happens in the car. I miss my auto-starter. When it gets a little warmer I'll play with it and see if I can figure it out.

Basically, lots of little things but nothing big.

No comments:

Post a Comment