I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

First of all, I have to say that I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I made a Potato Leek Soup today and it came out pretty well. I looked up a couple of recipes online and combined what I liked and didn't.  -> this is a big thing for me because I don't cook. I can follow a recipe like its nobody's business, but i don't walk in and look at ingredients and just decide to make things. I always wanted to learn but I just haven't had luck. plus, it's a pain to cook for 1.

I started off with a single leek stalk and chicken broth (organic, gluten and MSG free), and 6 small-medium potatoes. I got the potatoes and leeks in my weekly organic produce delivery. Then I added in some spices that I saw in a couple of the recipes (marjoram, parsley, salt, pepper and thyme). I just made it smell good. I didn't taste it much while i was cooking actually but the house sure did smell good.

I threw everything in a pot with some margarine and let it cook on a med-low heat for a while (potatoes are soft without being smooshy). Ladle and serve. It made 4-5 servings. I'll put the other servings in the fridge and reheat as necessary, though I suppose freezing would work too.

Potato Leek Soup
2 lbs (6 small to medium) Red Potatoes (~493 calories)

3 cups chicken broth- can use vegetable broth too (30 calories) 
1 leek stalk (~54 calories)
~2-3 Tbs margarine (Smart Balance is what I used) (160-240 calories)
Salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme and parsley to taste

Throw into pot on stove on med-low heat and cook until potatoes are soft enough for your own taste.

Healthy quotient: About 817 calories for the pot, with 5 servings: ~165 per bowl.

Next on my weekend to-do list... Turkey Chili (i've got a pepper and onions that could really be used).

4 comments:

  1. Good Job Erin! The soup sounds delicious. How was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a successful experiment. If you don't already do so, I highly recommend saving the leftover bits of vegetables (onion peels and stumps, peeled carrot skins, basically anything other than potato skins) in a plastic bag in the freezer for making your own vegetable stock. It's really easy and cheap to do, and gives you the advantage of knowing what is in the stock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't freeze the potatoes. They'll turn very mushy on you. Freeze the broth if you want, but eat the potatoes first. I learned this the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is yummy, almost too flavorful the second day around so next time i'll have to be careful with the spices.

    ReplyDelete