I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

my very first Kuspak/Quspak

A Kuspak (or Quspak) is a very traditional Alaska native garment. I can be worn in many seasons depending on how it is made. It can be sewn into a parka/coat or can be worn as a lightweight shirt. Traditionally, there are different versions for men vs women- a women's version has a skirt. Many do not still wear it like this though some do. There are many designs from basic to quite detailed and complicated. They can be made for everyday wear or for dress occasions- yes, it's essentially a lightweight hoodie.

I asked one of my go-to Alaska information Guru and my Bethel-Mom to show me how to make my very own and I was blessed that she agreed. It took portions of 3 days for her to supervise me through the entire process. I was "fired" twice and she kicked me out of the drivers seat (seat in front of the sewing machine) and she fixed something I just wasn't doing correctly (completely due to my inexperience behind a sewing machine at all). I'd estimate that I probably completed somewhere between 90-95% of the project by myself with her instructing me and showing me how to start then handing the wheel to me. She was vital in making sure I stayed true to her original design and wouldn't make the entire thing look sloppy. The most difficult parts for a newbie sewer were attaching the cuffs and collar which is mostly what she did for me at the end. The most tedious portion was probably creating the hem/border piece. That is NOT a pre-fabricated hem. That hem/border was made by hand, my hand (i'm a little proud- can you tell?). I've included a few pictures but out of respect for the pattern originator I have not included enough to recreate the entire project.

Start of the Hem part of the project

Various pieces and hem before putting it all together.

Finished project

Finished with the Hood

Close-up of hem
Not bad for my first Kuspak and my 2nd real sewing project ever. I might get somewhere after-all.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Erin! Looks cute on you and I really like that color. Thank you Evelyn for
    helping her.

    ReplyDelete