I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Anchorage - Day 1 (Tuesday, with excerpts from Monday arrival)

Monday Night:
So I arrived in Anchorage late last night and had an "Oh shit" moment on the plane... I was apparently supposed to pick up keys to my rental car at the Bethel Travel Management Center, in Bethel. Which I did not do. So I arrived in town and had no ride.

I called the hotel and got shuttle in route. ETA 10 minutes. He came, slowed, and drove off. I called the hotel, they re-dispatched him. 1 hr later I'm STILL sitting outside waiting. 3rd call to the hotel and I FINALLY got picked up, a little chillier than when I arrived.

My assistant, being the most awesomest in the world. She was able to help me figure out what to do to get my car picked up today.


Tuesday:
I slept in a little because of a headache and called Travel management. I had to take a cab to their office and then another to the airport parking los to retrieve the car. Still with a headache.
Once i got up and moving, I picked up the car and came back to the hotel to look up addresses of some places i need to go.

Target: $600 worth of essentials (I know it sounds like a lot but I am stocking up and I would have easily spent 1.5-2.5 times that on the same stuff, plus I got . Toiletries (including travel size that don't exist in Bethel), toilet paper, Marino wool socks $10 instead of $20), totes to take everything back and forth. Like a softsoap refill for handsoap... in Bethel $13.99 and here in Anchorage... $3.99. I did splurge on a computer game from back when I was younger. I remembered playing in on a windows 95 system.


Sports Authority: I decided I like North Face. I tried on a bunch of Columbia fleeces and jackets but Columbia runs slender and a curvy girl like me needs. I was able to get a fleece that will be my lightweight fall/winter jacket.

Brown Jug: I picked up some wine and need to go to the warehouse later this week to set up my account so they can ship me booze in Bethel.

Me Time: Then on the way back to the hotel, I found a little salon and got my eyebrows waxed.


Still on the To-Do list while in town:
- Spend Wednesday with ENTs and Audiologists at the hospital here.
- REI/Patagonia for winter coat
- Costco - halloween candy, check out clothes selection for good
- post office, mail home anything over my 50lb limit X's 3 checked pieces of luggage

No comments:

Post a Comment