I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Anchorage - Day 2 (Wednesday)

I apologize for not posting this before now, but after yesterday I just passed out. Simple as that. But here's a taste of my Wednesday.

Wednesday
I arrived at the hospital here around 10 and the front desk helped me get in contact with the audiologists. After waiting for a bit I went in to talk to them for a while. There were 4 and three of them were in seeing patients but we were able to say hi. Around lunch I left to grab food and had a bit of time before I could meet back with anyone so I was given directions towards the Wildlife Preserve (about 40 minutes away) and was also told there was a bit of a Marsh along the way. I stopped at the marsh and took some pictures, unfortunately, the pull-off where there were swans was full of cars so I passed that one up. My plan is to head out to the Wildlife Preserve sometime while I'm here. I also visited a Michaels and got an amazing deal on some sketch pads (40% off) and some pencils/Contes to play with. I remembered that I really enjoyed using them with the last art teacher I had (way back in middle school). I'd never really taken up anything art related just because I'm pretty critical of my own stuff and i have this perfectionist streak that likes to come out. It upset me because I couldn't get things to look just the way I wanted but I still liked the effort. Real life got in the way and I stopped until recently. For some reason I just picked it up and I really enjoy it. So a few supplies later I'm good for a while.

I headed back to the hospital to meet with another one of the audiologists in the afternoon to talk about the New Born Hearing screening program and how to stream-line that process so I can hopefully better get the kids followed.

Then it was off to the ENT staff meeting to meet everyone and I got to listen in on some of the questions, plans, and problems of them switching over to the new EMR/EHR (electronic medical/health record) system. Since they're switching to the same system we are I'm hoping all will go well. Cross our fingers.

One of the audiologist called to make plans for dinner and while I waiting I went to REI to look around in the mean time. While I was there they called to say that it wasn't a good night tonight but we'd look into another night while I was there. So I used the time to shop for a winter coat. After a discussion with a staff member, I decided to get a longer shell that has some built in warmth and 'Monkey Fur' The affectionate name for the super fleecy material that Mountain Hard Ware uses. Between the clearance racks and regular mixes, I was able to get 2 fleece jackets, a fleece windstopper vest and a long shell/coat for the same as what I came in expecting to purchase with 1 coat. I've also determined that North Face, Mountain Hard Wear and the REI brand are some of the only ones that fit me leaving room for movement. Again, curvy girls with strong biceps definitely have trouble with outer layer shopping. I also picked up a smartwool hat with earflaps.

Here's the thing about smartwool and really, any marino wool. It's self-regulating. Meaning, it helps your body regulate temperature without just being too warm. Wearing super warm fleece or a long down coat were one of the reasons I always had trouble wearing hats and gloves in the winter (winters in upstate NY, Boston and Chicago, not the VA winters I've experienced recently). My body gets too warm wearing traditional winter clothes. So I got a balaclava and hat in smartwool and I have a bunch of socks now in marino wool. Hopefully I'll be mostly set. I've winterized my car, now it's time to winterize myself (which is practically done).

After my REI trip, I headed back to the hotel, grabbed a quesadia from the bistro and started to write this blog entry before I just simply passed out.

Thurs AM
This morning i slept in and woke up to very grey clouds and rain, so I've stayed in most of today and organized my loot for packaging to head back to Bethel. I'll need to go to the Post office either today or tomorrow so I can pkg up things to send back.


To Do:
- Post office trip
- Explore
- Dinner with Audiologists.

No comments:

Post a Comment