I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

I can see Winter...

Conclusion that there's really 2 seasons here in Bethel. Winter and Summer.

I've not yet experienced Winter (but of course I'll fill you in when I get to that point), but I can tell you that It's going to be COLD. Boots are rated to -30 at a minimum. Car's are Winterized to deal with the same. Wool is a staple up here as are: BOGS, Smartwool, Columbia, Patagonia, North Face and fur. ...

Now before anyone goes at PETA on me... Animal skins are fur are used here. There is subsistence fishing, hunting and gathering. Subsistence Living is living living off the land and what you can grow, hunt and gather yourself. Native Alaskans do quite a bit of subsistence living. They hunt moose and other game. They fish for their yearly meals and they gather berries during the summer and fall. Now everything gets frozen and saved for later. Moose can be sent out to be made into particular cuts like steak and also to have summer sausage or have the meat ground for burgers. The skin and furs of these animals are used to make clothing: coats, mittens, hats, boots. Very little, if anything, is tossed after kills.This is their livelihood and not done 'just for sport' or for fashion.

To me, the weather we've had all Summer is actually more of a Fall. It was shorts-like weather for 1 day that I can recall. The rest of the time it's been at least long sleeves or pants and sometimes both. This week for instance, some locals are wearing short sleeves and some are wearing fleece coats over many other layers.

I've yet to pull out a coat other than my raincoat (which is quite lightweight) but I have been wearing long-sleeve fleece almost everyday.  (BTW- if anyone knows a good place to get good quality fleece zip-ups for a decent price, I'd appreciate the heads up). Maybe I'll be OK this Winter after all.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the two seasons were Winter and Mud....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all depends on the amount of rain. It's been unseasonably dry. Still have rainy days but it's not soaked all the time. - JAX is getting dirty though. The back windshield is plastered with mud except for where the windshield wiper goes.

    ReplyDelete