I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Reprieve

OK, so after all the prep for the yard-sale and then the yard-sale, I'll totally admit it. I needed a couple days off, so I actually took about a week off. I know, I know, I'm a lazy bum. Considering how much I've gotten done in the last month, I'm OK with that.

So getting back to the task at hand, a couple questions have come up from people and I want to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

First is that there was a question on my To-Do list item (To-Do list is on the sidebar to the right of the blog entries) relating to returning/cancelling my extended warranty for my car. My questioner asked why I'd want to do that. The answer is that I bought the car at CarMax. You have the option to purchase an extended warranty with them or only take the 90 day warranty they offer with all sales. I went ahead with the 60 months (5 yrs) or 60k miles coverage. Problem being, there's no CarMax in Alaska at all (not that it'd be super-convenient to barge the car out of town if I wanted to get it fixed. I'd read in the Max-Care (warranty program's) brochure that it was transferable and when i called to ask about it they said I could cancel it altogether and get a refund or transfer it to the new owner. So, I'll be cancelling the remainder during that time before I leave.

Second question was if i should keep my auto insurance until I get to AK or do I have to buy separate insurance for the trip. Answer - I will be keeping my current insurance until I get up there and switch everything over. I'll have to change DMV info as well, but I don't want to do that before I have a permanent (semi-permanent) address. 

The next question was a general "what the heck are you going to do now?" that  has come from my Kentucky crew (I know a lot of people in and around KY that are/will be reading the blog updates). Answer to this one is that we're currently finding homes for what was leftover from the yard-sale. Monday and Wednesday are pick-ups for the stuff that didn't make it out to play-it-again sports or the pile that'll go to the SPCA. Luckily someone will be coming to pick things up (but that means I have to inventory it).

I'll be teasing out some of the things I was going to take as well. I got the estimate back from the moving company and it's estimated that I'm over the allotment given to me by the hospital but at the same time, we think they've overestimated the total lbs. (They estimated I had ~2000 lbs of household goods). So I'm planning on teasing through the books/notebooks that I'd planned on bringing and make sure I really need it or set things up to go USPS in some flat rate boxes (USPS Flat-Rate pkg info).

This week is also a week to meet up with some people and say my goodbyes. I've already had a couple and they're not going to get easier but I don't want to leave without proper hugs and even tears. The two people I've already said my farewells to were done with heavy hearts. I'm hoping to get a few smaller things off the To-Do list this week.

Also, one of my KY crew has been very good about sending me thoughts on things to do or to think about while she reads everything. She's been very good about letting me know when I've glossed over things for everyone and what might not make sense. Considering how many variables my brain is juggling is quite welcome.

Alright, on to work and a bit of relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment