I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

MY STUFF IS HERE!!!

I sleepily roused from some very strange dreams at about 9:45 this morning by a phone vibrating next to my head. I saw a Bethel # on the display but it wasn't one I had programmed into my phone. I was thinking that maybe the barge with my car had arrived so I forced myself to wake up and answered quickly.  It was "Bethel Bob". He's the one and only mover in the village! -At this point I wasn't sure if my car or my things were more exciting.- He asked if I'd be around today to have him move things in and when I eagerly told him "YES!" -as calmly as I could-, he said he'd call a couple of his helpers and call me back about bringing everything in. About 10 minutes later my phone rang again. He said he'd pick up the guys at 11 and be at my place at about noon.

I then spent the next hour moving odds and ends to be out of the way and taking a shower. From 11-12, I relaxed and read a bit while 'calmly' waiting for the arrival of my stuff.

At about 11:55, the 3 guys arrived and began bringing things in. I relocated some pkgs to the bedroom or kitchen as they arrived once reading on the box what was inside, and began unpacking some boxes. By the time they were done unloading at 12:50, I'd unpacked about 8-9 boxes and we found that one of my bookshelves had a corner knocked off. Bethel Bob is going to fix it and bring it back to me. He also recycles the boxes and packing material so I'll break down the boxes and keep the packing paper and call him when I'm unpacked. My parents early training -sending us to our room when we arrived in a new house with a sharp implement and telling us not to come out until our rooms were unpacked- will come in very handy this weekend as My plan is to have everything unpacked before I go back to work on Monday.

Soon my car will be here and I can complete the set.

I'm super excited to get everything unpacked and find homes. I'm also super excited to have the food that I packed and hook up my new TV (32" HD flat screen, perfect for my little place). This weekend was going to be a low-key resting weekend and now... I get to make my apt my new home.

In the words of Bethel Bob, Welcome home!

No comments:

Post a Comment