I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, June 20, 2011

2 down

So I've been here 2 full weeks. 1 in Bethel, 1 in Hooper Bay and I'm starting week 3. I like it up here. The summer is a great temperature. It's what fall would be in most places I've lived (a little warmer), but with really long days. I also like the people. So far everybody has been really good about helping me get acclimated and explaining the differences. After all, I am a Gussuk (white person).

Oh, I forgot to mention, whale is called Muktuk. I'm not sure if that's specific to a beluga (which is what I had) or just whale in general. I wanted to get a picture of the group of whales that were being carved in Hooper Bay, unfortunately, it was a 30 min 4-wheeler ride and I didn't have access to one, I didn't feel like walking 6 hrs each way to get there, so I only got pictures of a baby beluga (yes, the song's been stuck in my head since last week) that was in the opposite direction and fairly close. There was also a box worth of fish that looked like it'd been tipped over a boat and washed ashore.

Lots of pics of the beach too. Those surprised me because I wasn't expecting the beaches up here to look the same as they do everywhere, granted it's summer so theres' no snow, but besides the lack of tourists, these pics could be taken anywhere. I'm posting pics tonight on Smugmug (see link in previous post and on sidebar) to get the address. I will continue to take pics and add them to the Alaska folder.

I'm still looking for housing. I started calling back people from 2 weeks ago who said to call them back in a couple weeks. 1 possible lead and an application to hospital housing. We'll see how things go. I need to call the one place back tomorrow to schedule a viewing. I'm hoping it looks decent, etc. Alright, gotta go start the loading of the pics. Have a good night friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment