I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Internet alone or bundle???

So with my impending move into an apartment I have some decisions to make. Namely, how I want my internet. I found out that internet here is set up so you buy a pkg and that has a set amount of data traffic included (A lot of places are moving towards that). I can either just get an internet pkg or get a bundled pkg. Options are as follows, feel free to make suggestions, especially if you have a frame of reference for what the data usage might mean):

Internet only pkgs:
  1. Download: 512 kbps; Upload speed: 128 kbps; Included usage: 5120MB; Overage rate $0.02/MB = $49.99
  2. Download: 1 Mbps; Upload speed: 256 kbps; Included usage: 10,240MB; Overage rate $0.02/MB = $59.99
  3. Download: 1.5 Mbps; Upload speed: 384 kbps; Included usage: 15,360MB; Overage rate $0.02/MB = $99.99
  4. Download: 2 Mbps; Upload speed: 512 kbps; Included usage: 20,480MB; Overage rate $0.02/MB = 149.99
Or Bundled pkgs
  1. Cable: Basic (standard box); Internet: 1Mbps / 256 kbps; Included usage: 10,240 Mb; Out-of-State Long Distance: 150 Min = $69.50
  2. Cable: Full Digital (w DVR); Internet: 128 kbps / 64 kbps; Included usage: 2048 Mb; Out-of-State Long Distance: 150 Min = $112.50
  3. Cable: Full Digital (w DVR); Internet: 512 kbps / 128 kbps; Included usage: 5120 Mb; Out-of-State Long Distance: 150 Min = $142.49

Also, I can upload photos at work (after hrs, etc). I won't be streaming my Netflix, though I might upgrade to more than 1 DVD at a time.
Please let me know what you think. I've got a little time to make this decision, but input is greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Given those prices and speeds, I can see why you don't plan on streaming Netflix. Given these options and the fact that you will be doing your large uploads at work, I'd be inclined to get the first bundle. It's a decent price and it'd be nice to have cable in case you run out of Netflix discs to watch in the winter.

    Are you required to sign a contractual commitment to a plan or do you have the option to change your plan later on if it doesn't meet your needs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been able to go a month of active internet usage (3 hours a night) with a 5gb plan without too much hassle. Regular web browsing / emails / online gaming won't use much. You should be able to get an application which tells you how many MBs you've used so far. Anything which involves downloading large files will definitely make you go over the limit though, such as downloading games, streaming video or streaming music.

    By the way, I've made my way into Canada and am staying with my brother in law's family for a few weeks. Would you like a visit in late July for a day or two? If so, would you like me to bring you anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    Gideon- not sure if I have to sign a contract or not. I've noticed the few places up here I've dealt with have a much looser interpretation of contract. As long as you still receive services with them, you're still in your contract. It doesn't so much matter if you change your services. Hopefully it's the same. I may bump up services a bit though, I'll go in and talk to someone.

    Amira- Late July I should be in an apt (I hope) so I should hopefully be good to accept guests. Were you planning on trying to take your bike off-road all the way out here? or catch a flight? I know the areas I've flow over (where I was low enough to see) were quite marshy. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo :) No, not planning on off-roading. I am still a beginner when it comes to that sort of thing. I was planning on taking whatever flight will be available from Fairbanks when I get there.

    ReplyDelete