I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

First Saturday in Alaska

Hello one and all...

I spent my first Saturday here playing softball, boating the river and hanging out with some people who've lived here a while.

Softball was not bad. Mostly batting practice and fielding the balls. I'm a bit sore now but it was good to get out and do something.

The boat was fun. We went up river and we went past a town a little bit up and then we stopped at an abandoned Moravian children's home and school. Most of the buildings were roped off with an "Asbestos, Do Not Cross" tape. but there were a couple that weren't. From what we could tell, the last time it'd been inhabited was sometime in the 90's. There were some pretty cool things hidden in the depths of the buildings. It was a little compound really. There were at least a half a dozen building including a mess hall, a church, a shop and what looks like a dormitory. There were a couple other buildings splattered around and random artifacts out on the grounds. Super cool just to see what used to be there, and nothing else that's been lived in as far as the eye can see.

I'm also starting to post pics on SmugMug. I'll put the link up and people can see bunches of pics above and beyond what I post here. For now, here's a couple pics from the river and sloughs (slews)...

I see mountains

Dorms from the river

Is this for a canon?

Dorms

Old trike.

Moravian church at abandoned children's home.

Old fashioned slide (10' high, with curve and all metal) with too much bush.

Desks in attic of shop on the compound

Mess hall of abandoned children's home.

Shaker/Quaker furniture in the mess hall at abandoned children's home.

I found a tree in the tundra!!!

Boat wake

Water from the wake

Fish Camp

A fish camp with King Salmon hanging.

Small barge to take some shipments upriver.

Barge in port. My car will be on one of these.

I don't know why I love this boat. Maybe it's the blue, maybe it's the fact that it reminds me of a houseboat.

Barge on land.

No comments:

Post a Comment