I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Back in Alaska

So i got back into town late Thursday night. All in all, the travel was fairly uneventful. I got to my hotel Wednesday night and was able to immediately take a shower (Uggs are not good traveling shoes for me in the lower 48). then I passed out. I woke up a few hours later and got a meal, then passed back out.

My house sitter texted me to let me know that they were working on unfreezing my apartment door lock. It had apparently been frozen for about a week. My landlord helped her get in there and then we find out that in the week she wasn't able to get in my house, my toilet froze. all my other pipes were fine, but my toilet was not. lucky me.

She also wasn't able to start my car, so she'd plugged it in. Unfortunately, the outside plug kept shutting off - you know those test/reset buttons? yeah, that kept shutting off power. So i ran the cord under the door and plugged it in inside. The next morning (friday) the car won't start. so we set up to jump it only to find out that my jumper cable got so brittle it snapped in half. We borrowed cables from my neighbor who happened to be ready to leave just then and got the car started.

Friday at work was catch-up day. We were able to clean up, make sure we were ready to go for this coming week and go from there. i headed out at lunch and was going to buy jumper cables, but the only ones made for -30 degrees were $250 so I searched my good friend Amazon and found 4 gauge cables that are supposed to stay flexible to -97 degrees for just $50, plus I had a little leftover from an amazon giftcard I got for christmas so I got em for a little cheaper still. On my way back to work for the second half of my day, i realize that there's no air pumping through my car fan. No heat, not even cold air, just nothing... so I have no heat because the blower fan has frozen!!! it's kinda cold here. even my thinsulate gloves aren't enough, my down mittens seem to be doing much much better so those will be my gloves for a while.

cross your fingers for me that it doesn't get much colder than this. not sure if my toes can handle it. i just put hand warmers in my uggs after wearing them with wool socks most of the day (this morning i tried with just bare feet like you're supposed to with no luck).

My toilet got unfrozen Friday afternoon but then i hear on the radio that it'll be -35 with a windchill of -70 that night. -70!?! needless to say, I stayed in all night. actually i stayed in all weekend. it's freaking cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment