I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Frozen locks and Hairdryers

This morning I headed to the door to head to work... except I couldn't.

My door just wouldn't open. Now we've had a blizzard since last night and there was snow outside, but not enough to pile up in front of the door, and even if it did, the door opens inward. Ultimately, my handle wouldn't turn but it wasn't locked. In fact the deadbolt was unlocked, but literally, the handle was completely stuck. I jiggled and turned until it finally turned. Grabbed bags and headed out only to not be able to lock the deadbolt - Completely frozen.

I opted to lock the inside door and just close the outside door. There's nothing that someone would come and steal even if theft really isn't a problem. Only, the outside door wouldn't close. there's a thin layer of ice around the edge of the door that left it incapable of closing. So i broke out the hairdryer and blasted hot air on the lock, and it worked. 

To try and make sure it didn't happen again, I jimmy-rigged a flap across the lock that's taped down with packing tape. Hopefully it'll prevent more ice from forming. If it doesn't work, i'll be locked out again. Love doors that face the wind/snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment