I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ode to my Work-Mom

Some of us have that mentor, the one who taught us about life and in most cases learning valuable skills associated with a career or trade. These are the people we admire and look toward when we question our skill, our outcome or for a new way to approach a problem. Straight out of gradschool and my internship, I was lucky enough to find a job working in a large private practice that saw just about anything. The audiologists worked TOGETHER with the physicians (ENTs) and not as mindless drones. Our clinical opinions and observations were valued and opportunities were taken to teach each other. I learned a lot from all the audiologists at that practice, but I spent most of my time with 1 in particular because we shared a closet-sized office together.

I was very lucky to be working hand in hand with this incredibly dedicated woman who quickly became my Work-Mom. This title was due in part to her HUGE maternal/nurturing side as well as her new role as my mentor and office-mate. We taught each other many things during our years together. I was able to bring to the table the fresh-out-of-school and up-to-date information on the new technology and techniques. She was able to teach me variations of the 'classics'. And beyond that, she was able to give me a living breathing model of true medical dedication. She was incredibly invested in all of her patients -occasionally almost too invested- and made sure every person walking through our doors walked out more educated and truly understanding their role in hearing loss. Be that their own or a family members. She experimented with resolutions to problems and spent time with you to make sure that your outcome was the absolute best it could be. Even if you were satisfied, if she wasn't, she pushed for a better solution. A solution that was easier, cheaper, less time consuming or sounded better- it had to be improved upon from the trial before or she wasn't happy.  And the sheer joy that radiated from her when success was achieved was enough to power the darkest of planets and she owns her own little corner of my heart.

I've learned that many individuals who grew up here often feel as though the resources here for medical care (and I've been told education with some) are minimal at best. I was reminded of the saying, "What do you call the Dr who finished last in their class... Doctor". The same can be said for many professions. I strive to make sure that I'm not put into that category. I don't want to be the one that people go to because there's no alternative, I want to be the one that people go to because they know they can get help. I want them to walk away understanding what is going on with them and what we can do to make that better. I want to make sure their hearing aids are adjusted so they hearing their grandkids when they get excited about something and when their husband or wife whispers 'i love you'. Because of the amazing mentors I've had I just can't imagine it any other way. I can only hope that my view is shared among others but the reality is there are always those that believe that they put in their time and now they are owed.

Lesson: Be the best you can be. Educate and empower, show them they mean something and resolve the problem they sought help for. Don't dismiss and above all else, LISTEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment