I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Out in the cold

So i learned a valuable lesson last night. Don't OVERdress for -55 temps.

I helped a co-worker move last night. We loaded up a truck, a big van, and 2 SUVs. We had a 3 year old up WAYYY past her bedtime- you know that overtired but hyper because there are tons of people in your house and you're finding new toys as things are packed away.

I suited up in fleece-line firehose pant (think Carhartt or Deluth thickness), Wool socks, my big fleece-lined boots, cuddle-duds ski underwear shirt, fleece jacket and then my winter coat topped off with a pair of thinsulate work gloves, wool scarf to pull up around my nose and a merino wool hat with ear flaps.

Let me put this in perspective. It was -55. So cold that my car locks wouldn't work when i used the fob and my radio wouldn't work until the car was fully warmed.

Multiple trips in and out in the cold and i was sweating and feeling pretty gross. I also had to run 'Lil Bit back to my place to pee cause she didn't want to go in a potty that was filled with poo. she had to go so bad we couldn't even put her snowsuit back on (one of the full-body kinds that zips up the leg) so I wrapped her in an adult coat, threw her in my warm truck and back down the street to my house where i found an alpaca wool sweater to wrap her into for the trip back down to her new place.

At 11:30 we were done and dispersed. I was sweaty all over and needed another shower (even though I'd taken one 4 hrs before).

Now it's -63 with windchill and no change in sight for days. I'm staying inside till Monday if at all possible.

I met a woman back home who'd lived here in Bethel back in the 60s and 70s. It was before internet or cable were out here and not sure if they had a radio station or not. One year it got to -100 for 2 days. So cold she sat with her oven on and her feel propped on the door even with the regular heat on. Cross your fingers it doesn't get that cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment