I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Snowpants

I realized yesterday that the Kuskokwim 300 dogsled race begins tonight. So then I realized that I don't have snow-pants/insulated/lined pants to make sure i literally don't freeze my tail off. So I called in some help. I found out where had the best selection and grabbed a shopping buddy and headed out to the store. The locals mostly use Carhart jackets and bib overalls that have a quilted lining. now there's regular quilted lining and then there's Arctic quilted lining. I tried on many a pair and quickly realized that I was ridiculously short. I can easily find the right inseam and waist measurement to fit but then the big goes up over my ears even when pulled to its shortest length.

Me being the problem-solver than I tend to be, realized that if I cut off the elastic portion of the shoulder straps and reattached the fastener to the material itself it would be practically perfect. They wouldn't be able to be adjusted longer for someone else, but they're going to be mine so what does it matter.

Now while I was trying on my overalls, I tried on a regular Carhart jacket that had a hood. My shopping buddy made me put on my sweatshirt underneath and then busted out laughing. "You look like a white native!" and proceeded to take a picture (if we can send the picture to me, I'll post it. UPDATE: Here's the update...).

Carhartt Bib overalls, Arctic quilted lined with a Carhartt Active Hooded Jacket... No longer a Bethel Wanna-be, I've graduated!!!


So I bought my overall snowpants and pulled out my sewing machine. After fidgeting for about an hour, I realized that the tension (not the bobbin tension, but the needle thread) was all screwy and kept snapping threads. I grabbed a heavy-duty needle and went to town. 30 minutes later my overalls fit nicely and I head to bed.

This morning, my wrist hurts in all kinds of ways. I can't rotate it or bear weight on it. typing and writing seems to be OK. I'm trying to track down a brace for it. I think my wrist just isn't used to that kind of a workout. I mean, Cartharts are thick and tough. But i did it and can relax a little for later and not worry about them not quite fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment