I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Current Ponderings

So this is a bit early to be thinking about this but my mind wanders between tasks sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get cable up in Alaska because then I'd sit on my tush instead of trying to experience some of the cultural things in the town and working on hand skills like quilting or crocheting. I want to try and take pictures of as many town events as I can to share and show people what things are like up here. I will be getting internet. I can't update my blog and Skype with friends and family or email without the internet after all. But at the same time, I started thinking about cell phone.

I'm thinking a cell phone as opposed to a land line would be the safer option (take a trip to Anchorage for the weekend or walking around exploring, etc.). But when it comes to the phone itself... I've gone down to a basic regular phone -one with just numbers, and a send and end button (as opposed to a smartphone, e.g. Blackberry, iPhone, Palm)- and didn't like it but I'm wondering if I'll need/want a more sophisticated thing up there without everything going on that happens in a bigger city. I'll keep the iPhone that I have for all the apps and iPod capabilities it has and I an sync my calander with a cord to my computer. And any phone I get will need to have texting capabilities.

So the pondering, in short... Do I get a regular phone or a smartphone up in Alaska?

Opinions? Comments? Things to think about?

3 comments:

  1. Well, since you have all this planned out, is there Good cell service where you are going that will support the types of things you want a phone to do. Then you have to think of what you need it for. Here's the funny thing that can also save you a few bucks, having a smart phone with good to great service, you can use a tether cord and tether your laptop off the phone which will give you the internet so you wont have to pay a bill for something you already have access to. Just an idea I thought I would share. Plus no matter where you are as long as you got cell service you have internet to your laptop. SO keeping your IPhone might not be such a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't actually keep my Iphone. There's only 1 phone carrier in Alaska, GCI Wireless, and they don't support them. They do have blackberries and androids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. get an android - they are super easy to use, VERY user friendly. I helped set one up for a family friend a few weeks back, took me about 10 mins to figure out most everything.

    ReplyDelete