I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's official...

A (lower right) is Norfolk, Virginia (where I am right now).
B (upper left) is Bethel, Alaska (where I'll be moving early June)
I have accepted the position as an Audiologist at the hospital in Bethel, Alaska at the Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation Hospital and I've resigned at Ear, Nose and Throat, Ltd. I will miss everybody I work with now, but I'm really looking forward to the chance to try something completely different. You might notice from this little image that this really is a bit of a trek. Also, you may notice Anchorage, AK. This is the place I'll be heading to get my big shopping like Costco runs and then have it flown in.

I highly recommend looking at the links on the right for "Bethel, AK" and getting a feel for the scope of what I'm in for. About 6500 people. 16 miles of road (10 of which are paved). Also, Bethel is the taxi-cab capital of the US. I'll be serving about 30,000 people from about 56 Tribes who will fly into my hospital in my little town of 6500. Just yesterday, or was it two days ago, they had a blizzard. There's an annual dog-sled race that's a prep race before the big one and I have about 8 weeks to get myself ready to move there. BTW, there's more information in my brain than I know what to do with right now.

Just an idea of what's on the To-Do... sell car, buy new car, cull through what to keep vs what to sell, have yard sale, cancel all memberships, change banks, get all healthcare records and verification of vaccines or titers, purge personal records, get chair and ottoman recovered (probably only furniture I'm keeping), organize movers estimate and then move, figure out why it takes my stuff 4-6 weeks to arrive, get new car winterized, start looking for a new place to live, and set up a Skype account.

Oh yeah, and sleep. Back to that list, see ya back here soon.

1 comment:

  1. In case you didn't know, you're going to be just a few hundred miles south of the Arctic Circle... Oh, and from the looks of it, you'll be closer to Russia than to Seattle...

    ReplyDelete