I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Life in the slow-lane

I find myself hoping that I'll really enjoy living up in Alaska, and more than that, in a village that's remote and hard to get to.

I know I mentioned in my first post that I learned a long time ago that I didn't like big cities. Beyond that though, I don't like the hustle and bustle that a lot of places offer. Malls, shopping centers, the list just goes on and on. I always feel like a dork when I'd rather curl up on the couch reading or learn to quilt/knit/crochet/backpack than go out like everybody seems to want me to go. I hardly ever drink, partially cause I'm allergic to beer and partially because there just doesn't seem to be much of a  point. The loud music and huge crowds at bars or clubs is just too much stimulation. I glaze over, just like I do in every other situation with a ton of people.

At work it's a little different. I'm testing 1 on 1 and sure it's one after the other, but there's some control over it and I (hopefully) get lunch and at least a couple few minute breaks to sit down and catch my breath.

I've dreamed of living in a quiet little town, and now not only do I get that little town, but one that's fairly hard to get to. As long as I can deal with the cold - and I feel that's mostly an issue of what clothes you have - I think the environment will be great. So for now, I'll cross my fingers and hope that I like it as much as I imagine I will. Maybe I'll live there for forevermore. I s'pose we'll see. If nothing else, I'll get a 2 year break where I get to pull over into the slow lane and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment