I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wool is my bestie

Yet another trip to the storage unit and playing a game a K/S/T (keep, sell, toss... I'm really getting sick of typing it so I'm officially shortening it). The TV that whines, yes, it emits a very high pitch whine, is out for curbside pick-up and may or may not still be there by the time the garbage truck rolls around. But I grabbed as many boxes as I could and headed back to work on the wall of yard sale as and such.

I have to admit the storage unit is emptying out nicely. I took pictures of the dryer while we were there and posted them back at home. Hopefully that'll get rid of it before the yard sale.

Through some amazing research from a friend of my dad's- who I believe lives in the Pacific Northwest- I found out ultimately it may very well cost me much more to sell my car and buy a used one than to ship mine to Alaska. I'd be letting it depreciate but overall, it'd be cheaper for me. I will also need to winterize my car, but once I know if I'm actually take it, I will look more into where I can do that. I'll probably see if I can call ahead and get one of the shops up there to be ready for me. I'm hoping it won't be so hard to get in since I'll be getting up there in June. I still need a few questions answered, but I've got those questions out there waiting.

But back in the basement, as I'm unpacking boxes and boxes, I find tons of stuff to add to the SELL stacks, but even better Mom comes down with her arms full and asks, "How much do you love me?" Now here I am at 9:30 thinking this is a trick question so I just bite my lip and twist it, raise my eyebrows and shrug. I figure no answer gives me an out either way. She then chuckles and tells me that I'm learning but I'm not good enough yet and plops her armloads on the couch. "Do you want your blue Alpacha wool back?"

Now, a little bit of back-story... we've lived a few places before including upstate NY and CT. Both are somewhat cold. Syracuse, NY regularly was in contention for being named the city with the highest snowfall in the U.S. often only to be beat out by little towns in Alaska (now I see that as a bit ironic, anybody else?). So my mom is also always cold and when we lived in those areas was ALWAYS wearing multiple layers of wool. She is also an AMAZING bargain shopper. And I don't mean one of those people who only ever shops in clearance racks but has a ton of crap they'll never touch. I mean she's got a really good eye for really good deals and often holds out when it's not a good price often to find it somewhere else much cheaper. It's a gift or something. So back when we lived in NY, I think. She got these great Alpacha Wool sweaters from somewhere and I'll be damned if I remember where it was now. She got this solid off-white one and I got this blue one with a stripe in it. Almost two-tone really. I had it for a long time, but when I left Syracuse I wasn't in as much cold as she was or I dealt with it better so I gave it back to her since she used them so much. And today, she asked me if I wanted it back.

I said, "Sure, if you want to give it back to me." and did my little bite lip, eyebrow raise and shrug thing again. She then started wondering if she loved me enough to part with some of the rest of her wool and proceeded to throw random sweaters at me so I could try them on. I honestly didn't know my mom had that much wool. We can now add wool-whore to her list of pseudo-deviancies. Honestly though,  I really don't care cause those sweaters are going to keep me sane and safe and ward during my winter months, which really last for 9 -10 months of the year, so I'll take my wool-whore and raise you some mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment