I'm a girl who has picked up and moved from coast to coast (& north past most of Canada). That is... Norfolk, Virginia to Bethel, Alaska. --- This journal is a record of the move, and life in the Tundra.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rapid Onset

So I learned some time ago that big cities were not my cup of tea. I get done at work, head home, and somehow de-stress for some period of time before I feel like I can face the world again. The heartbeat is too strong in the bigger cities. I get my people fix at work then I go home and enjoy the silence and even made sure my dog responded to clicks and hand commands as well as spoken commands so I wouldn't have to worry about talking most days.

I can't remember how many times I've told people I wanted to move to the 'middle of nowhere'. Granted I was thinking along the line of Wyoming or Montana, maybe Colorado. Then, someone suggested Alaska. I'd never thought about that before, but I looked and found jobs in cities that were small and remote. Places with no highways, no shopping malls or even cell phone coverage (that one's going to take a little getting used to). I found a job posting for a hospital in a town that's not even accessible by road and submitted my application. 2 days later my phone rings. A week after submitting that application, I'm being offered the job and deciding to move to the Northwest corner of the continent (well almost). Type in zip code 99559 in googlemaps. That's where I'm headed in 2 months time.

I have a lot to figure out. What stays, what goes, what's sold off to the highest bidder? And in all that mess... I have to embrace the fact that my life is about to change. This is nothing like anything I've ever experienced and may never again. I plan on taking pictures and hopefully learning a bit about local culture. I'll definitely learning to cook between not being able to eat out and also needing to eat Gluten Free.

I know the area I'll be living in doesn't have the magnificent trees and mountain ranges much of the rest of Alaska has, but they do have an annual dogsled race and bush-planes to arrive to and fro. Please keep coming back to see what's going on, and let me know what you want to know. I should have internet and won't have cell phone but this should be a most interesting experience. Come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment